Xuemei Liu, University of South Australia
Applications open until 11.59pm, Sunday 30 May 2021
AMSI Scholarships provide full or partial support for students enrolled in the mathematical sciences and cognate disciplines to participate in AMSI Flagship programs including AMSI Winter School 2021. These scholarships help to cover program registration fees for the two-week school and are only available to students enrolled in an AMSI Member University at the time of the event.
Female, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Before applying, read the Winter School Scholarship rules below.
Please note: All applicants will need to upload a Letter of Support (from a current Supervisor, Course Coordinator or Head of Department) to support their Scholarship Application.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their home university guidelines before applying for and paying Winter School fees.
1. AMSI Scholarships provide full or partial support for mathematical sciences and cognate discipline students enrolled at an AMSI Member institution to participate in AMSI Flagship programs (AMSI Summer School, AMSI Winter School, AMSI BioInfoSummer)
2. Applicants must, at the time of the event, satisfy the following criteria:
(a) Enrolled in a mathematical sciences or cognate discipline degree at an AMSI Institution
Preference will be given to applicants from mathematics and statistics departments, however, students from cognate disciplines are invited to apply with the support of the AMSI Member representative at your university.
3. Funding is available for:
(a) Winter School fees
Funding is awarded to a capped amount.
4. Each applicant can receive at most one AMSI Scholarship in any one-year period/12-month period
5. Applications may be submitted at any time before the Scholarship Application deadline and will be considered according to the schedule outlined.
6. Applications should consist of the completed application form, and a letter of support from your current supervisor, Course Coordinator or Head of Mathematical Sciences clearly stating that they support your application for this scholarship.
To complete your application the following information is required:
The letter of support from your supervisor, Course Coordinator OR Head of School should be a formal letter of recommendation vouching for your capabilities and suitability to attend this program, the benefit of you attending the school from an academic standpoint and supporting your request for financial assistance. It need only be brief (eg. 100-200 words) and submitted on university letterhead or contain your supervisor’s formal email signature.
7. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, taking into account the overall benefit to the applicants. AMSI and/or the Event Director may seek additional advice as required.
8. In applying for an AMSI Travel Scholarship, applicants agree:
(a) that their name, photo and/or biography can be published on the event website, and for other AMSI reports and promotional material
(b) to submit a short written report about the event within 30 days of completion of the program to be used in AMSI reports, websites, newsletters and other promotional material. A report template will be provided by AMSI
(c) to complete the post event feedback survey
9. Recipients must participate fully in the program that they have received funding for
Successful applicants must confirm acceptance of the Scholarship in writing as per the Scholarship Notification Letter. Offers not accepted within this time may be withdrawn and may be offered to other applicants.
10. The AMSI Scholarship is paid on confirmation of full attendance from the AMSI Winter School Event Director.
Funding is awarded to a capped amount as outlined in the Scholarship Notification Letter.
The attendee must submit their Winter School application tax invoices to their home university to arrange reimbursement. The university provides an invoice to claim the reimbursement from Queensland University of Technology (the host university).
The invoice should include the following details:
Note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their home university guidelines before applying for and paying Winter School fees